The SPIN „Monitoring a Restless Earth” Innovative Training Network (ITN) is recruiting 15 highly motivated PhD students, or “Early-Stage Researchers” (ESRs). The positions will have staggered starting dates between May-October 2021 for a duration of 3 years. For specifics, please refer to the individual project descriptions by clicking on the links below.
Note: the application deadline for the first round of recruitment was on April 5th, 2021. Some positions are still open, see the table below.
Please ensure that you fulfill the following eligibility criteria for ESR (Early Stage Researcher) positions in H2020 MSCA-ITNs, as ineligible candidates cannot be considered:
- Candidates can be of any nationality, and there is no age limit.
- They must have less than four years of research career after obtaining their degree and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Candidates are required to undertake transnational mobility (i.e., move from one country to another) when taking up their appointment. Candidates must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the recruiting beneficiary for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status are not taken into account.
- For all recruitment, the eligibility and mobility of the candidate will be determined at the time of their recruitment in the project.
- There are no exceptions to these rules.
|Project||Host Institution||Project title||filled?|
|SPIN ESR 1.1||LMU Munich (D)||Harnessing wavefield gradients: theory, experiment, applications||filled|
|SPIN ESR 1.2||ETH Zürich (CH)||Distributed acoustic sensing for natural hazard assessment||filled|
|SPIN ESR 1.3||Université Grenoble Alpes (F)||Wavefield gradient methods to monitor the Earth’s crust||open|
|SPIN ESR 1.4||IPGP Paris (F)||Ocean floor seismological and environmental monitoring||open|
|SPIN ESR 2.1||GFZ Potsdam (D)||Rock mechanics and Seismology||filled|
|SPIN ESR 2.2||University of Edinburgh (UK)||Understanding Earthquake-Induced Damage & Healing of Crustal Rocks||open|
|SPIN ESR 2.3||British Geological Service (UK)||Next-Generation Physics-based earthquake forecasts||open|
|SPIN ESR 3.1||University of Edinburgh (UK)||Optimal Design of Experiments and Surveys for Scientific Interrogation||open|
|SPIN ESR 3.2||LMU Munich (D)||Numerical models across the scales||filled|
|SPIN ESR 3.3||Université Grenoble Alpes (F)||Detection and characterization of seismic signals with dense arrays of new seismological instruments||filled|
|SPIN ESR 3.4||University of Hamburg (D)||Ambient signals as a tool to characterize material properties||filled|
|SPIN ESR 4.1||DIAS Dublin (IE)||Ground motion and unrest triggering on volcanoes||filled|
|SPIN ESR 4.2||University of Hamburg (D)||Nonlinear seismology meets structural health monitoring||filled|
|SPIN ESR 4.3||ETH Zürich (CH)||Monitoring hazards from a changing alpine environment||filled|
|SPIN ESR 4.4||GFZ Potsdam (D)||Distributed Acoustic Sensing and Volcano-seismology||open|
The SPIN project combines training in theory and research methods with key professional skills training and individual career mentoring. Within the programme, PhD researchers have the opportunity to engage in outreach activities and to develop international professional networks by pursuing research stays abroad and by taking part in international conferences and workshops. The MSCA ITN programme offers a highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions.
We welcome applications from candidates who fulfill the following criteria:
- A research-oriented university degree, such as a Master’s degree or BSc Hons, in a relevant field (e.g. Geophysics, Physics, Engineering, Applied Math ..) The PhD enrollment requirements will depend on the hosting institute, please refer to the individual project descriptions and institute webpages.
- Note that you may apply if you have not completed your degree yet, as long as your degree will be completed by the time of recruitment in the project.
- An outstanding academic track record
- A good command of English, both verbal and written
- Dedication and enthusiasm for research, combined with scientific curiosity, reliability and the capacity to teamwork in an interdisciplinary environment.
You may apply to a maximum of three PhD positions within the network. However, you must submit a separate cover letter specifying motivation for each position. Please include all three cover letters in the single pdf with your application documents.
For most projects, the application deadline was April 5th, 2021. Application evaluations will start immediately, and will continue until all positions are filled. Selection interviews with shortlisted candidates will be organized by the hiring institutions. Please note that each PhD position has its own earliest starting date and may have a different applicaiton deadline. Check the project descriptions above.
We wish to reflect the diversity of society and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background. The selection will be exclusively based on qualification without regard to gender identity, sexual orientation religion, national origin or age.
Applications must include:
- A cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position.
- A CV including relevant competences, skills and publication list, if applicable
- Copies of degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records for previous studies (Bachelor and/or Master). Please indicate expected date of graduation if your Master’s degree is not completed
- Contact information of two references
- Please note that each individual PhD project may have additional application steps and/or qualification criteria. Please carefully check the PhD descriptions: http://spin-itn.eu/recruitment/.
Applications should be sent in one single pdf file with filename `SPIN_YourLastname_YourFirstname.pdf’ to email@example.com
Without the application documents, your application cannot be considered!
In addition, you must complete the SPIN application form: http://uhh.de/min-spin-apply.
Please fill in the form only once. If you submit the application form multiple times, we will consider only the first submission. If you want to correct your information, please first send an e-mail to SPINfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that you will not immediately receive a confirmation email after completing the form, so please fill it in only once. If you see a message “Thank you for completing the form!”, then your information was received.
If you have any questions about the application procedure, please contact SPINemail@example.com.
By applying to a PhD position, you agree that all data concerning your application may be stored electronically and distributed among the supervisors involved in the selection procedure within the MSCA ITN SPIN. If you do not agree, your application can not be processed further, due to the project’s centralised recruitment process. The data are used solely for the recruitment process and we do not share information about you with any third party.